Τετάρτη 13 Οκτωβρίου 2010

Second letter to an English friend



N. Lygeros 

I wrote you already but I am writing once again, not by chance but out of necessity. 

I do not know yet if you have received my first letter. What matters is the issue and I will tell you again the same in the same way, as our loved Socrates said. It is not typical. You know that we are not captious. 
The Caryatid hereafter is a manifold and not just an architectural support. 

It represents more than you see. Everybody looks at the statue, but they do not listen to the composition. It isn’t a melody of the past but a memory of the future. And every minute that she remains alone in the fog of London, it is an additional accusation. 

We have fought together many other barbarities, why therefore should we leave this abeyance between us? It is the same sun of justice that is looking at us. We live for the same light. Otherwise our fight against darkness would have no meaning. 

Her rape did not alter blind justice. Of course, a crime without punishment, is it a crime? It may not be for society, but you know the truth! I do not accuse the nation. I condemn the action. 

However shouldn’t you condemn it as well? Shouldn’t we force the oblivion fanatics to release her? Have you ever thought, if the Caryatid that is located in your country had a name, what would it be? It wouldn’t be Helen anyhow and I assume that you realize this. No, her name would be Peace and do not just think of Aristofanes’ play, but just the idea. Peace belongs to humanity, but her homeland is Greece. 

This is not just a right but her existence. And you who know closely and by experience the essence of Amnesty International, you can understand me; for this I am certain. We need however the realization of the idea, it is not sufficient to agree. 

We have to give freedom to Peace. And her freedom is in the New Acropolis Museum. How would you feel in front of her absence during your visit? Wouldn’t you have a crack, a wound in your spirit opposite the other five Caryatids? 

I repeat, it is not you who is guilty. Then why do you feel uncomfortable? Her absence is not the absence of beauty but a reminder of the rape, the crime without punishment. And how can you stand this, my friend? Talk to your people, we all need this.

Your Greek friend. 

source

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: